Current to Replace Google+
Today, Google announced that its new platform “Google Current” will replace Google+ on July 6, 2020.
In April 2019, the social media platform that was launched in 2011 was deleted by Google. Read our article from last year to learn more about the rise and death of Google+.
Here is the official announcement from Google:
We’re writing to let you know that Currents will become generally available (GA) on July 6, 2020. For Google+ users, the experience will be upgraded to Currents for your domain. If you are an existing Currents beta participant, your Currents experience will remain the same.
Currents has an updated look and feel to Google+, and provides additional features for users and administrators. We’re contacting you ahead of the release, so that you can prepare your users for this change. If your organization does not use Google+, no action is required.
What do I need to know?
Following the shutdown of the consumer version of Google+ in April 2019, we announced the beta launch of Currents. After Currents becomes generally available on July 6, 2020, your users and all of your organization’s existing Google+ content will be automatically transitioned to Currents. It may take up to 5 days for Currents to rollout to your organization. There will not be any downtime for users during this transition. Additionally, the new Currents mobile app will replace the Google+ iOS and Android mobile apps, which will no longer be supported. After July 6, 2020, it will not be possible to opt out of Currents or revert back to Google+.
In Currents, super administrators will have the ability to enable certain content moderation and administrative privileges for users in their organization. See this help center article for information about the new administrator functionality.
Currents will continue to be governed by the same terms as Google+. Usage of Currents for all users will be governed by the G Suite agreement and Google Terms of Service, as applicable; see your G Suite agreement for more details.
What does this mean for my users?
- Beginning July 6, 2020, users will be transitioned to Currents on all platforms. Currents provides users access to new features, including custom company streams, content discovery and routing via tagging.
- Users of the iOS and Android Google+ mobile apps who have auto-update enabled will be automatically upgraded to the Currents mobile app, which replaces their existing Google+ mobile app. Other users will be prompted to upgrade to the new Currents mobile app (via redirection to the appropriate store) so they can continue using the service.
- All existing links to plus.google.com will continue to work, as users will be transparently redirected to currents.google.com.
- In the days prior to this switch, your users may see a banner in Google+ apprising them of these changes and linking them to relevant Help Center content.
What do I need to do?
No action is required, however, to ensure a smooth transition for your users, we recommend the following actions:
- Advise your users to upgrade their iOS and Android Google+ mobile apps to Currents on July 6, 2020, as the Google+ mobile app will no longer be supported.
- Review the Getting Started Guide for end users in order to get acquainted with the new features and better support your users.
Want to Know More?
At Adrenaline Design & Marketing, we provide uniquely transparent & effective online marketing services. Contact Brad today to schedule an obligation-free strategy session with our business owner to discuss your objectives and create an online marketing plan customised to your individual business!